Automated Retrieval Center (ARC)
About the ARC
Construction of the four-story ARC building took place on the north (Student Union) side of the library building. The ARC will contain 1.25 million volumes of the library’s print collection, placed in bins three stories high, for retrieval by robotic cranes. Books can be requested with the click of a button on the computer screen. Each volume will be available for pickup in minutes.
- Eventual capacity for 1.25 million print volumes
- 5 robotic arms will retrieve bins that contain approximately 100 books
- 6,942 bins in the first phase of implementation.
- Bins will be stacked 36 high in specially made steel racks
- Transferring books into the ARC will free up space for up to 1,600 additional user seats
Many libraries worldwide, including over twenty in the United States, have installed retrieval centers, including University of Chicago, North Carolina State University, University of Missouri Kansas City, and Georgia Southern University.
John C. Hitt Library ARC in Action
UCF Students, Faculty, Staff and Community Borrowers
UCF Students, Faculty, and Staff can request materials located in the ARC in Primo. When you have found the item you wish to request in Primo, Click the “Sign in” link under the Request Heading on the item page if you are not currently logged in. If you are logged in, skip past the next 2 bullets.
- For UCF Students, Faculty, and Staff, click “UCF NID” on the sign in pop-up and login with your NID and NID password.
- For Special Borrowers, click “Community Borrowers” on the sign in pop-up and login with your assigned USER ID and password.
Once you are logged in, a “Request” link will appear next to the “REQUEST OPTIONS” heading. Click the link. Then select the location that you would like to pick up your book and then click “Send Request”.
You will be notified through your UCF email when the item is ready to be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
If you are having trouble requesting materials, please contact the Circulation Department: 407-823-2580 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to become a Community Borrower
More information about purchasing a community card or obtaining a special borrowers card can be found on our library card policy page.
Visitors & Community
Visitors and members of the community without library cards, but who wish to view an item stored in the ARC, can fill out an ARC Request Form to have books pulled for them.
You will be notified by phone or email when your requested materials have been pulled. They may be viewed and used for free while in the library. Materials can be returned to the Circulation Desk.