The John C. Hitt Library [named for our university president on the occasion of his 20th anniversary at UCF] is under the leadership of Director of Libraries Barry B. Baker and offers a variety of space options for students: individual and faculty/graduate student study rooms; a presentation practice room; two library classrooms; quiet study floors; Infusion Café; Knowledge Commons (24,800 square foot learning and technology environment providing seating for 479 undergraduate and graduate students; 196 desktop PC stations; 116 seats with 110v power within easy reach; 167 additional seats in differing configurations including tables, upholstered chairs with tablet arms, soft seating, and group study settings; and portable whiteboards); and a variety of exhibit spaces on the 2nd and 5th floors.
With just over 100 library faculty and support personnel, and close to 100 student assistants, it is also home for 10 of its 13 departments:
- Cataloging Services
- Circulation Services
- Information Technology & Digital Initiatives
- Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Services
- Library Administration
- Research & Information Services
- Scholarly Communication
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Teaching & Engagement
21st Century Library Project is a multi-phased plan to create new spaces for learning, technology, collaboration and resources in the John C. Hitt Library. Working with Holzman Moss Bottino Architects, advanced schematic designs were finalized early in 2015. During fall 2016, work will begin on Phase 1, including the construction of a four-story building housing the automated retrieval center (ARC). The ARC will be connected to the library on the north side (Student Union side). Upgrades to elevators and restrooms, as well as fire and safety improvements, will begin. Phase 1 also includes the creation of space focused on individual quiet study, research, and writing, located on the fifth floor.
At this time, books have been moved from the fifth floor. To accommodate the shift, collections have been moved throughout the building. Check book locations in the UCF catalog, or ask for assistance.
During Phase 2 of the project, an exciting collaborative learning space on the top floor of the ARC will be completed. The creation of exciting new space throughout the building and renovation will complete future phases of the 21st Century Library Project. Tentative completion date: 2019-2021.
- cash-to-card machine
- color printer
- public computer
|In this Library||Phone|
|Acquisitions & Collection Services||407-823-0028||Susan.Macduffee@ucf.edu|
|Information Technology and Digital Initiativesemail@example.com|
|Research and Information Services||407-823-2562||http://askalibrarian.org/email.php?id=1692|
|Special Collections & University Archivesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Teaching & Engagementemail@example.com|
Located in the heart of campus, next to the reflecting pond.
Directions to our Loading Dock
Directions to the John C. Hitt Library Loading Dock
- Enter UCF Campus via University Boulevard. This is the “main” entrance to campus.
- Turn right (southeast) onto Gemini Boulevard. The first stop light after entering campus is at University Boulevard and Gemini Boulevard. [Note: University Boulevard ends at Gemini Boulevard. You either have to go left or right. If you go straight through this intersection you would enter Garage A.]
- Follow Gemini Boulevard around past the water tower. Once you are on Gemini Boulevard, you will go through four stoplights:
- Stoplight 1: Central Florida Boulevard
- Stoplight 2: Andromeda Circle
- Stoplight 3: Garage B entrance/exit
- Stoplight 4: Libra Drive (the water tower will be on your right)
- At the fifth stoplight, turn left (west) onto Scorpius Street. This is the stoplight after the water tower. The new UCF power plan building is on the southwest corner of Gemini Boulevard and Scorpius Street. Once you are on Scorpius Street, you will go through two stop signs:
- Stop sign 1: Garage C entrance. This is a 3-way stop sign. Garage C will be on your right
- Stop sign 2: Pedestrian cross walk. NOTE: The road is in terrible shape just pass this stop sign. Drive carefully through here.
- Turn right at the third stop sign on Scorpius Street. You can only turn right at this stop sign. If you go straight you will be in a loading dock area. The Research I building is on your right.
- Veer left at the intersection of Scorpius Street and Pegasus Drive. This is a strange intersection – Scorpius Street veers left and turns into Pegasus Drive. There is a sign post to the left, which can be difficult to see, that says “PEGASUS DR.” It also has a sign that “STUDENT UNION” with an arrow pointing to the left. If you accidentally continue straight instead of veering left, you will end up on the far side of the Research I building and eventually in its parking lot.
- Follow Pegasus Drive as it turns left. There will be open space/wet lands on your right.
- Follow Pegasus Drive as it turns left again. As you veer left, the Student Union and the Libraries ARC building will be on your right.
- Enter the Libraries’ loading dock area. This is where Pegasus Drive ends. The John C. Hitt Library loading dock will be on your right.
Directions to the University
Silence Cell Phones
Silence Cell Phones
- General Collection N – Z
- General, Graduate and Faculty Study Rooms
- General Collection G – M
- Oversized Collection A – Z
- Current Periodicals and Newspapers
- CD / DVD / Blu-ray Media Collection
- LibTech Desk
- Tablet, Laptop, iPad, Device Charger Checkout
- LibTech Studio (Record / Edit / Present)
- General, Graduate, and Faculty Study Rooms
- Printers & Scanners
- Government Information