Main

 

About the Exhibit

 

University History

 

Traditions

 

Mascots

 

Seals

 

Presidents

 

What is the University Archives?

                                                                                                                          

 

University History

 

In 1963, the Florida Legislature passed Bill No. 125 authorizing the State Board of Education to establish a new university in east central Florida. The acquisition of 1227 acres for the new institution involved the landowners, Orange County and the State in a complicated combination of donation and purchase. Since funding was not immediately available, eighty-nine locals pledged almost $1million to ensure the property could be acquired. By September 1965, planners had conceived a master plan for a campus with a “pedestrian island” at its center ringed by access roads and parking areas.

 

 

Groundbreaking on March 19, 1967.

 

 

UCF Libraries - Special Collections - Contact Us - Contact the Webmaster