To ensure that the UCF Libraries can provide its patrons and employees with a safe and secure environment the following facilities policies have been established. Many of the policies below are derived from or are related to relevant UCF Policies and Procedures and the UCF Regulations.
Violation of any of the following policies could result in patrons being asked to leave the library, the violation being reported to the UCF Police, patrons being trespassed from library facilities or the campus, behavior referred to Student Conduct Review Board, or criminal prosecution. Any criminal behavior will be reported to the UCF Police.
Cell Phone Usage
Cell phones must be set to a non-audible signal. Please move to a stairwell or outside of the library to conduct all cell phone conversations.
Library PCs and laptops are provided for university-related work or research and any viewing or downloading of pornography, overtly sexual, or other materials that could be considered offensive or harassing to others is prohibited. The complete university policy statement can be found in the UCF Academy Affairs’ Use of Information Technology and Resources Policy.
Disruptive behavior is detrimental to a safe and friendly environment for patrons and is therefore prohibited. For the purposes of these policies this includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Any harassment or abuse (verbal or physical) of patrons or library employees
- Any loud or disruptive behavior or activity
- Any misuse, vandalism, or defacement of library equipment, property, facilities, or collections
- Any sexual harassment or overt sexual behavior
- Any skateboarding, rollerblading, bicycling, or use of any other non-assistive wheeled vehicles which may pose a hazard to patrons or employees
- Bicycles are not permitted inside the building
- Abandoning any personal property, including non-assistive wheeled vehicles is prohibited
- Refusing to leave any library facility at closing, during any emergency drill or situation, or whenever directed by library employees
- Refusing to identify oneself to library employees as directed
- Bringing any non-assistive animal into any library facility
- Leaving any child under the age of 13 unattended in any library facility
Also see the Solicitation, Photography, and Taping policy.
Food and Beverage Policy
The UCF Libraries food and beverage policy has been created to achieve a balance between comfort for our patrons and the need to ensure the maximum value of our collections, equipment, and furnishings. In order to preserve and protect our library resources, patrons are expected to be responsible and maintain our library’s appearance by following these simple guidelines:
- Properly dispose and remove any traces of personal trash, food, and drinks.
- At UCF Libraries locations with a cafe or coffee shop, please consume food items within the cafe or coffee shop when possible.
- Beverage containers must have secure tops or lids.
- Use extra care when consuming food and drink while using computers, equipment, and library materials.
- Alert library staff to any spills or messes so that the area can be cleaned promptly.
- Food and open drink containers are not permitted within the John C. Hitt 5th Floor Quiet Study area.
- Food and drink are not permitted while using Special Collections & University Archives materials.
Noise and Conversation
- Consider those around you by minimizing noise, conversations, and disruptive behavior throughout the library.
- Floors or areas designed as quiet areas are reserved for silent research and study. An atmosphere of quiet will be maintained at all times in these areas. Absolutely no cell phone ringing or conversation will be permitted in quiet areas.
- As a courtesy, music is allowed only with headphones. Headphone volume needs to be set at a level that does not disrupt other patrons
Solicitation or any other activity that disrupts or interferes with normal library functions or with employees’ or patrons’ ability to pursue normal library-related activities are prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Any soliciting, polling, selling, or conducting surveys inside library facilities
- Any soliciting, polling, selling, conducting surveys, or any other activity that disrupts pedestrian, bicycle, vehicular, or other traffic outside library facilities
- Any photography, video or audio taping in any library facility without prior approval; for permission, email Library Administration firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any distribution of printed material or other items, whether handed to library patrons or placed on counters, desks, tables, etc.
Also see the Disruptive Behavior policy.
Photography and Video Taping
- Any photos or video recording in the library must have prior authorization by Library Administration. Please email requests to email@example.com
- Photo and video is permitted on the 1st and 3rd floors.
- Please refrain from filming library staff and students.
- Please refrain from any large photo or video equipment and use handheld camera equipment only.
- Please be respectful of patrons using the library and keep conversations low.
- The UCF Libraries is happy to participate in interviews. Please e-mail a list of questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tobacco, Alcohol, and Illegal Substances
Smoking or use of electric cigarettes or any tobacco product in any library facility is prohibited (see the Official UCF Policy). Bringing, possessing, or use of any alcohol or illegal drugs or substances within any library facility is prohibited. Displaying overt signs of alcohol or substance abuse is prohibited and may be reported to the UCF Police.
The University of Central Florida prohibits the possession, use, or storage of weapons on property owned or controlled by the University of Central Florida. Bringing any sort of weapon (real or simulated) into any library facility is prohibited and will be reported to the UCF Police.