Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services (ILL/DDS) will continue to provide some articles and book chapters.
We will not accept books requests at this time.
ILL/DDS has extended all due dates on interlibrary loan items currently checked out. Please check your ILLiad account for accurate due dates. There is no need to return ILL books to the library at this time.
Use Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Services (ILL/DDS) to request books, articles & more!
- Log in using your NID and password. First-time users will be re-directed to a registration form.
- Fill out the appropriate request form, & click “Submit”.
- An email will be sent to you once the item is ready.
- Typically available to download from your ILLiad account within 3-5 business days.
- Books & Media
- Typically available for pickup within 7-10 business days. Please allow additional time for items being sent to branch/regional campuses, or mailed to distance learners.
- *Please Note: Items borrowed from other libraries have shorter loan periods than UCF-owned items. Due dates for books and media items borrowed through Interlibrary Loan are set by the lending library, and are typically for 3-4 weeks, with the possibility of one renewal for an additional 2 weeks.
- Document Delivery Services
- Let users request books to be pulled and articles to be scanned from the John C. Hitt Library and Rosen Library, by submitting a request through their ILLiad account. This service is available to all students, faculty & staff, undergraduates.
Please note that Document Delivery books & media items are checked out on your UCF library account and are subject to overdue fines.
For information about our Lending services, please visit the Lending to Other Libraries page.
To contact ILL/DDS, please visit the Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Services Department page.
Dissertations may be requested on the Book/Media form, available through your Illiad account.
Before requesting a dissertation through ILL/DDS, you should first check the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global database, which contains the full-text, downloadable PDF for most dissertations published in the United States since 1997. This database can be found within the Databases page of the UCF Libraries website.
Through Document Delivery, users can request books to be pulled and articles to be scanned from the John C. Hitt Library and Rosen Library, by submitting a request through their ILLiad account. Requests for items which are not available at these libraries will be filled via Interlibrary Loan. Please click on the Item Arrival tab to view the estimated timeframe.
Submitting Requests for Faculty
For students working with a professor, who would like to submit ILL/Document Delivery requests on their behalf, it is recommended that items be requested using the professor’s ILLiad account. This is because you are ultimately responsible for items that are checked out to your account, even if it is actually being used by your professor.
The UCF Libraries recommend that you ask the professor you are working with to add your name to their account as an authorized user, so that you may pick up items for them at the Circulation Desk. Please click on the Item Arrival tab and view Picking Up Items for Other Users, for instructions on adding authorized users.
Requesting textbooks through Interlibrary Loan is not recommended. Many libraries will not lend them, since most libraries keep textbooks on reserve for their own patrons. Additionally, books borrowed through ILL are for short-term use only; loan periods usually last for 3-4 weeks, with the potential for one renewal of an additional two weeks. Therefore, it is not possible to keep a book borrowed through ILL for an entire semester.
Users can use the UBorrow button within the Union Catalog, to easily populate information into ILLiad request forms. The Union Catalog lets users view all books owned by the eleven State Universities of Florida, including items owned by the UCF Libraries.
When searching the UCF Library catalog, you will see a link in the upper right-hand side of the screen which says Show items that you can request statewide
This will take you to the Union Catalog, where you can click on the UBorrow logo of the item you want to borrow to easily request it through Interlibrary Loan. You will be prompted to log in with your NID and password. After this, the information for the book you selected will be automatically imported into a Book Request form in ILLiad. Simply click “Submit” at the bottom of the form, and wait for the e-mail notification of its arrival.
To check the status of your UBorrow requests, please log in to ILLiad.
Articles & Book Chapters
After receiving an e-mail notification that the article you requested is available:
- Log in to your ILLiad account.
- Under View in the left-hand menu, click Electronically Received Articles.
- Find the article you want to view in the list, and click View.
The article will open in a separate tab or window. To save the article, select File > Save, from your browser’s menu. Articles are available in PDF format, and will only remain on your ILLiad account for 30 days.
Picking Up Your Items
Once you’ve been notified that the item you requested has arrived at the Main Campus:
- Main Campus users may pick up items at the Circulation Desk in the John C. Hitt Library.
- Branch or Regional Campus users may pick up items at their designated campus library. Please allow 3-5 business days for your item to arrive at your campus. Once it arrives, you will receive another notification.
- Distance Learners will have items mailed to their home address. Please allow 5-10 days for your item to arrive.
Note: Distance learners residing outside of Florida cannot borrow physical items owned by other libraries through Interlibrary Loan. Please use your local library for assistance.
Picking Up Items for Other Users
To have your items picked up by another person, you must have them added to your authorized user list. This must be done prior to requesting the item:
- Log in to your ILLiad account.
- Click Change User Information, near the bottom of the left-hand menu.
- Near the bottom of the page, in the Authorized Users field, type the name of each person who will be picking up your items.
- Click Submit Information at the bottom of the page.
Make sure to let these people know they must bring a photo I.D. when they pick up your items.
- Articles in journals and chapters in books owned by other libraries usually take 3-5 days to arrive. If only a few libraries have the book or journal, or if it is coming from overseas, it could take a little longer.
- Books owned by other libraries usually take 7-10 days to arrive. Books held by many libraries usually arrive faster than books owned by only a few libraries. Media items such as CDs and DVDs usually take longer to arrive, if they are sent at all, as fewer libraries are willing to lend these types of items. If you take classes at a branch or regional campus, expect to wait 3-5 days after the item is received at the John C. Hitt Library for it to arrive at your campus. Distance Learners should expect to wait an additional 3-5 days for items to arrive at their home address.
- Articles in journals and books which are available at the John C. Hitt Library usually take up to 48 hours to process and be made available for the user through their ILLiad account. Articles in journals and books available at the Rosen Library may take an additional 24 hours to process.
- Books and other items available at the John C. Hitt Library are usually pulled and placed at the Circulation Desk within 48 hours for students on the Main Campus. Items not picked up within 7 days are returned to the shelf. Distance learners and students at branch and regional campuses should expect to wait 3-5 days after the item is pulled from the shelf, before it arrives at their campus or home address. If an item cannot be located by our staff, we will request it from other libraries, which usually takes 7-10 days to arrive.
Returning & Renewing
Due dates for books and media items are set by the lending library, and are typically for 3-4 weeks, with the possibility of one renewal for an additional 2 weeks.
Most items borrowed from other libraries can be renewed one time. If an item is renewable, it will be indicated on the ILL label placed on it.
To renew an item:
- Log in to your ILLiad account.
- Under View in the left-hand menu, click Checked Out Items.
- Click on the transaction number of the item you want to renew.
- Click Renew Request at the top of the screen.
If the Renew Request option is not available, your item is not eligible for renewal.
The estimated new due date will appear at the top of the page. The lending library will review the renewal request and confirm the new due date. You will receive an e-mail once the new due date is confirmed. The lending library may deny the renewal request, in which case the item should be returned by the original due date. If this happens, you will receive an e-mail notifying you of this.
Items owned by the John C. Hitt Library and Rosen Library are considered Document Delivery items, and may be renewed by logging into My Account. These items are checked out to your library account, and are subject to overdue fines.
Users at the Main, Regional, and Branch Campuses may return items to the Circulation Desk of their respective library. We prefer that you hand the book to a library staff member, but you may also place it in a designated library drop-box.
Distance learners, and users unable to travel to their campus library, may mail their items back to us.
University of Central Florida
Library – Interlibrary Loan
12701 Pegasus Drive Bldg 2
P.O. Box 162430
Orlando, Florida 32816-2430
Items which have still not been returned 10 days after the due date, will result in your ILLiad account being blocked. Once the item is checked in, the block will be removed. Items returned over the weekend are checked in on the next business day.
Interlibrary Loan services may be used by all faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students at the University of Central Florida.
- Students must be enrolled in at least one class during the current semester, including Summer sessions.
- Retired faculty are eligible for ILL/DDS services, with their UCF ID card.
- Community patrons do not have ILL/DDS privileges.
Document Delivery services are available to everyone. Please click on Requesting Items tab for more information on Document Delivery.