Once you have logged in to OpenAthens, you can access library content and services without having to re-enter your login credentials.
Popular Library Links
You should only need to log in once per session.
Off-campus Access Tips
- Log in with your UCF NID for seamless access to all UCF Libraries content and services.
- Use links on the Libraries website. Our links connect through OpenAthens and ask you to log in as needed.
- Add the OpenAthens stem to Google search results, email, and other pages – they do not automatically not connect through EZproxy and you may end up at a site asking for a payment or an individual subscription.
- Use a plug-in in Chrome or Firefox to send links through EZproxy for authorized access. More information about plugins.
- If you use UCF’s VPN, you will still need to login to OpenAthens to access library content. For security reasons, UCF’s VPN does not handle traffic to sites outside of UCF’s domain.
UCF Federated ID Login Problems
If you have problems with the Federated ID, login:
- Wait 20 minutes. Three failed login attempts on any account that uses your NID temporarily suspends your account:
- OpenAthens, ILLiad, MyAccount, MyUCF , WebCourses, UCF_WAP2 wifi, email apps on devices, and UCF computers all use the NID.
- When you reset your password, be sure to change it on all your devices (smartphones, iPads, laptops, etc) and apps (e-mail, wireless, etc). If the devices or services keep trying the old password, your NID account will become locked.
- Temporary suspensions clear after 20 minutes.
- Reset your NID password. A mis-remembered password is most common login problem.
- If your NID account is still locking up, contact the UCF Service Desk at 407-823-5117, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Common Problems
- Only current UCF students and employees can use OpenAthens for UCF.
- Guests, community users, and others may use MyOpenAthens for UCF. Guests. Guest might not have full access to UCF-licensed content.
- Redirect request problems: OpenAthens connects to sites that UCF has designated and configured. If OpenAthens is not configured to handle authentication to a site you will see the message “We cannot redirect your request”. You can try linking to the site without OpenAthens or report the error the eResources Support Team.
- Contact Ask Us for help with OpenAthens.
Plugins for Off Campus Logins
Some plugins can add the OpenAthens login on the fly as you search and browse the web. Go to Off-Campus Access Plugins for current options and instructions.
Off-campus Access and VPN
UCF’s VPN provides secure access to UCF’s servers and networks. It does not provide access to online library content. OpenAthens can work along side the VPN to for access to library content. These recommended steps will ensure smooth access to Libraries subscriptions for VPN users:
- After you connect to UCF’s VPN, log in via OpenAthens.
- Use links on the Libraries website to connect to databases and journals.
- Use a Plugin to send links to links in email, search results, and other pages, or paste the link into the OpenAthens Link Generator.
For questions about the VPN, go to UCF Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Not what you were looking for? Ask Us for help!