The following policies apply to materials at the John C. Hitt Library, the Curriculum Materials Center (CMC), the Rosen Libary, and the Downtown Campus Library. Policies may vary at regional campus libraries.
|Category||Hourly Fine||Max Daily Fine||Max Total Fine||Billed Lost + Replacement Charge||Academic Block||Notes|
|General Collection||—||$0.25||$5.25||30 Days||30 Days|
|Reserve Collection||$1.00||—||Accrue until returned||3 Days||3 Days|
|LibTech Items||$1.00||—||$18-$100||3 Days||3 Days||Fines PER barcoded item|
|Faculty / Staff||—||—||—||30 days||—|
- Any General Collection items that are more than 30 days overdue are considered Billed Lost. Replacement charges will be placed on your library account and an University Academic Block will be placed on your account.
- Any LibTech items that are more than 3 days overdue are considered Billed Lost. Replacement charges will be placed on your library account and an University Academic Block will be placed on your account.
- Regardless if the item is lost, stolen, or damaged the patron who borrowed the item is responsible for paying the replacement charges.
- Billed lost items that are not lost, damaged, or stolen may be returned to Circulation and the replacement charges will be reassessed.
- Items returned more than 30 days after payment will not be refunded paid replacement charges. The library will accept the item as a donation.
- Replacement copies are not accepted.
- Fines may be paid…
- At the John C. Hitt Library by check, credit or UCF ID card
- At the Curriculum Materials Center (CMC) by UCF ID card only
- At the Rosen Library by check or UCF ID card
- At the Downtown Library by UCF ID card only
- Checks should be made payable to UCF Libraries.
- Partial payments are not accepted. All transactions must be paid in full.
- Mailed payments must be by check, money order, or cashier’s check (cash will not be accepted). Mail payment to: University of Central Florida, Library Circulation, P.O. Box 162666 Orlando, FL 32816-2666
Library Account Blocks
Patrons who owe $10.00 or more will have a block placed on their library account. This block will prevent the patron from checking out library materials and renewing library materials. This block will be removed once full payment is made by the patron, or the billed lost items are returned and any remaining fines are paid.
University Academic Blocks
Students who owe a total balance of $50.00+ or have been charged a damaged or replacement cost will have an University Academic Block placed on their account. The University Academic block will be placed on grades, transcripts, graduation, and registration. This block will be removed once full payment is made by the patron or all billed lost items are returned and any remaining fines are paid.
Library Account Blocks and University Academic Blocks may also be applied according to the discretion of the Head of Circulation Services, the Head of the CMC or Rosen Library, the Head of the Downtown Campus Library, or the Library Administration.
Library Charges Appeals Process
All Library charges of overdue, damaged, or lost materials may be appealed upon patron request. The Appeals Form is available ONLY online. The Library Appeals Committee will review your submission and make a final decision on the acceptance or rejection of your appeal, within one week. You will be notified by email or telephone of this decision.
Library materials that remain on your account, that you believe have been turned into the library, must be reported to the Circulation Desk as soon as possible. After filling out a claims return form, a series of diligent searches for the item will be made throughout the Library over a period of two weeks. During these two weeks you are urged to continue searching your own residence, vehicle, or other related areas.
Any claim returned materials that are found in the Library by staff, will have their charge waived. If the claim returned item is not found after the two week search period, you will be notified via e-mail that the searches have been unsuccessful. At this time, payment for the replacement of the lost materials is expected.
Questions About Fines & Bills
Contact the Circulation department at the John C. Hitt Library for questions or concerns about library fines and bills.