University of Central Florida Libraries
10/25/2014
http://library.ucf.edu/
UCF Website University of Central Florida Libraries
Login now

Information Technology & Digital Initiatives Home

Digital Initiatives Home

Contact Us

  • Lee Dotson, Digital Initiatives Librarian
    • Send E-mail
    • Phone: 407-823-1236
    • Location: John C. Hitt Library, Room 155E
  • Page Curry, Digital Imaging Technician
    • Send E-mail
    • Phone: 407-823-5026
    • Location: John C. Hitt Library, Room 230
  • Kerri Bottorff, Digital Initiatives Adjunct Librarian
    • Send E-mail
    • Phone: 407-823-1236
    • Location: John C. Hitt Library, Room 155

Digital Collections

Back To RequestsRequest Information

Request Status

Last Modified:2013-10-16 15:38:00
Status:Finished
Status Description:Scanning is complete. This item is done.

Document Specifications

Full Title:Dedication of Masaryktown Slovak Lutheran Church, 1954
Author:Purdin, Lois
Publisher:N/A
Date of Publication:N/A
Place of Publication:N/A
Subjects:Slavia (Fla.) -- History
Brief Description:In an article appearing in the "Tampa Tribune" in September, 1954, the Tribune correspondent described the worship service and dinner which attracted more than 200 people to celebrate the dedication of the new church erected by the congregation of Holy Trinity Slovak Lutheran Church in Masaryktown, FL. The congregation was originally organized in 1930 and struggled to survive until Rev. Stephen M. Tuhy, the pastor of St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Slavia, agreed to provide pastoral services to their members. Pastor Tuhy traveled frequently from the Oviedo area to Masaryktown to conduct worship services and minister to the congregation there. He assisted the Masaryktown church as a "supply pastor" from 1940-1952. He was invited to preach the English sermon at the dedication; Rev. Dr. Andrew Daniel (superintendent of the new Lutheran Haven complex in Slavia) preached the Slovak sermon for the bi-lingual worship service. Rev. Paul Grexa was installed as the new Pastor of Holy Trinity at the same service. Organist, Marian Stanko, and other guests from Holy Trinity's sister congregation of St. Luke's in Slavia, attended the celebration and shared the bountiful Slovak meal which followed the church service in the Community Hall. Newspaper article from "Tampa Tribune," September 26, 1954 scanned on Epson 10000XL at SLLC Sept., 2013. Clipping does not include page number of this issue.
Direct Link PURLhttp://library.ucf.edu/Web/purl.asp?dpid=DP0013568

Technical Specifications

Format:Photographs
Size:N/A
Call Number:SLC_B088; SLC_B089; SLC_B090; SLC_B091
Page Count:N/A
Copyright Clearance Basis:Written permission from copyright owner
N/A

Repository Specifications

St. Luke's
St. Luke's Lutheran Church: Brick Church 1939-1956
N/A
http://hdl.handle.net/10860/1025
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Masaryktown, FL
Masaryktown, Fla.
1954
St. Luke's Church Archives
QR Code URL for Mobile Devices